Summer can be overwhelming with the variety of fruits and vegetables begging for attention. Sometimes, keeping things simple and limiting the number of ingredients provides the most surprising and tantalizing flavors, not to mention the plethora of vitamins and nutrients present.
- 6 C organic maché (lamb’s lettuce) or substitute baby arugula
- 6 organic kumquats, thinly sliced
- 1 C organic strawberries, sliced
- 1 avocado, halved and sliced crosswise in 1/4 inch sections
- 1 organic cucumber, thinly sliced
- 2 slices sweet onion, cut into sections
- 3 T olive oil
- 1 heaping T crème fraiche (or homemade aioli)
- juice of 2-3 key limes or 1 large lime
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 2-3 tsp honey (or 2 sprinkles of Stevia)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 T poppy seeds (optional)
Arrange greens in salad bowl. Place rest of ingredients artfully on top of greens. Thoroughly mix dressing ingredients, adjust to taste, and drizzle over salad.
Maché, a.k.a. lamb’s lettuce or corn salad, is a special green that is very high in Omega 3’s, much like purslane. It is a hardy green, but one that has a mild taste like spinach. This salad absolutely sparkles with the tang of kumquats, the sweetness of strawberries, the crunch of maché, the garlic mist from the aioli, and the yin-yang of lime and honey. Enjoy!
Note: for those with dairy sensitivity, use aioli. We are able to get A2 heavy cream at our farmer’s market which doesn’t give the same issues as the more common A1/A2 dairy in the US. More on that subject.